Monday, March 19, 2012

Day 79

Sweet and Spicy Chicken...Trish Style!

I had not yet photographed anything today, so when dinner time rolled around, I decided to snap a few pictures of what was for dinner...a dish I invented one night, that has stuck with me. I went a little crazy and ended up taking step-by-step photos, like all of the blogs and websites I see on Pinterest. I know it's kind of weird, but just humor me...like I humor myself!

This was originally Sweet and Spicy Pork Chops, but works well with chicken too. The best part is all you need are a few ingredients, ones that are usually on hand.

Start by chopping a medium apple and a medium red pepper, then throw them into a pan with a little olive oil. Cook down for few minutes, until apples start to become translucent, and peppers soften.

Then add your meat right on top. I would recommend 2 to 3 large chicken breasts (cut into pieces) or 3 to 4 pork chops/loins. Season any way you like. I used ground pepper, seasoning salt, and a little garlic powder. Next, sprinkle with red pepper flakes...as many or as few as you like...I personally like a little heat.

Once your meat has cooked on the first side, turn over. Add 2 to 3 tbls of apricot-pineapple preserves. Again, you can add as much as little as you like, and you can substitute with orange marmalade, or some other jam or preserve to your liking. You really will not taste the distinct flavor. It cooks down along with the apple, and becomes the 'sweet' in your Sweet and Spicy.

When your meat is nearly done, remove from the pan and set aside in order to mash your sauce. I usually just take a potato masher, or a large serving fork to break down any remaining chunky ingredients, into a chutney-like consistency.

Add your meat back into the sauce, and simmer for a few more minutes until sauce thickens and meat is cooked through.

Dish and serve!

No comments: