Sunday, January 29, 2012

Day 29

February, 1985. I remember it like it was yesterday. Literally. I can't even wrap my mind around the fact that it has been 27 years.

This past summer, I spent some time cleaning out my garage. One of the things I found was a Valentine card and this enclosed note sent to me by my dad. I was actually shocked to discover it, I had no idea I had held on to it all these years. But what a treasure it was to find. It's so funny how something so simple can take on so much more meaning and become so valuable after someone has passed.

It was the year my dad was working away in California, and I really do remember it vividly, for several reasons.

First, the outside envelope was addressed to Trica. I had recently dropped the PA from my name and shortened it to Tricia, but dad just couldn't quite lock on to the idea or the spelling, and from that point forward, Trica (pronounced Trick-ah) was born.

Secondly, I remember receiving the envelope and it was the first time I had ever seen 'Hand Cancel', and it had to be explained to me. My dad had bought me a pair of earrings, ironically with my name (Tricia) on them, and had enclosed them in the envelope and wanted to be sure they were handled with care.

And lastly, I got a card from my dad. Not from my mom and dad...which you always knew was mom out shopping and signing for them both. Not that there was anything wrong with that, it's just that this meant Dad did it all on his own. And he took a few minutes to jot down a note.

I was thinking of him and missing him terribly again today, and thought of this card and note. At the time, 27 years ago, it was just a card, and just a simple note, but now it's something I cherish that provides just a little bit of comfort on days like today.

No comments: