Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day 19

Coupon clipper extraordinaire? NOT!

Today I tried my hand at shopping with all of those coupons I clipped. Now when I say I shopped, I didn't just go to the store all willy-nilly. This was the most thought out, organized shopping trip I had ever done. Meal plans, grocery lists by category, and my new coupon binder all in hand.

After all of the purchases were made and the numbers were tallied, what was the outcome? You know, how much were the savings?? Just like on TV, were they 90%, 95%, 98%?? In all seriousness, being the novice that I am, I clearly did not expect results like that, but in my head, I had hoped for maybe 10% my first time out. What I got was an overall savings of 6%. Now I realize that savings are savings, but 6%?? Really?? I'm not sure that was worth all the time and effort I put into it?!?

I don't think I'll quite throw in the towel yet. I'll try to educate myself further, and see if some more 'practice' pays off. I did come away with some knowledge gained already...my percentage of savings at Walmart was double that of my savings at Winco. Maybe next time I'll start at Walmart and finish at Winco and see if my percentage goes up?

No comments: