Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Day 186

Happy Birthday America!  Happy 4th everyone!  Today was a great day...a busy day, full of all kinds of things, so I have a few photos to share (for once!).

First, I started my morning by getting up early to bake a chocolate cake for the cake pops, and then getting the cupcakes in the oven.  I managed to get the two dozen vanilla cupcakes frosted with a chocolate cream cheese frosting and decorated with red, white and blue sprinkles before Rob and I headed out the door to the parade.

 The parade was kind of a bust, like I suspected.  Many people turned out to see it; the streets were lined with families...especially the kids waiting for candy to be thrown.  But it seems that when the holiday falls in the middle of the week like it did, not as many folks turn out to be IN the parade...like bands and floats.  But there was great represetation from Pasco - the one and only float, and the one and only band!

After the parade Rob and I headed back home, and I promptly went back to work...this time on the cake pops.  When I read the directions, they seemed pretty straight forward and actually pretty easy.  But they ended up being a little more of a pain than I had anticipated.  I did learn a few things for next time though.  I guess I had to get the first time done and under my belt. 

I started by making them a little too big, which meant they were too heavy to stay on the stick.  I'm don't think I froze and/or refrigerated them long enough.  I think my candy melts could have been hotter/thinner for a more even coating.  And most importantly, I needed to leave them alone until completely dry!!  I kept pealing them up too soon and leaving coating and cake on the plate!!  With all that said, here's the kicker...they were DELICIOUS!!  I mean seriously...who knew??  I guess I anticipated them tasting like a cupcake, but I think they were better...way better.  And so did everyone at the BBQ.  They were a major hit!

After I completely destroyed the kitchen with my cake pop assembly line, I actually took a quick little nap to rest and regroup  Then Rob and I headed over to Melanie and Jordan's for their annual BBQ.  They had a bit of a rib cookoff...one guy made pork ribs, while the other made beef.  I'm not sure what or whose I had...but they were all so good!  And there was food o'plenty...lots of ribs, salads and beans...YUM!  While all of us grown ups yacked it up, all the kids kept busy in the pool.  It was a great way to end the 4th...thanks Mel and Jordan for the invite!

Because tomorrow is a work day, and because we're old I guess (hehe) Rob and I opted out of the fireworks, and just called it a day and headed home to feed and check on the pups. 

We hope you all had a wonderful 4th...full of fun, food, friends and family too!!

No comments: